The Georgia National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program provides a “Second Chance” for Georgia’s at-risk youth, 16 to 18 years of age, who have not yet graduated from high school and who are willing to make a life-changing decision to volunteer for enrollment into this 22-week military-style residential program. At the Youth Challenge Academy, cadets will have the opportunity to earn their academic credentials (GED, High School diploma, or earn transferrable high school credit and return back to their high school).
GaYCP Eligibility Criteria:
- Between 16-18 years of age
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Georgia Resident
- Educationally at-risk or High School dropout
- Voluntary enrollment
- Underemployed or Unemployed
- Drug Free (All cadets will be drug tested)
- Physically and mentally capable to participate in the program with reasonable accommodations for physical and other disabilities
- Not currently on parole or probation for other than juvenile status offenses, not awaiting sentencing, not under indictment, accused or convicted of a felony
NOTE: We require a complete copy of an applicant’s academic transcripts and behavior records from all previously attended academic institutions as part of their application for GaYCP admission.
All Georgia Youth ChalleNGe program cadets attend academic classes Monday-Friday as they prepare themselves for an opportunity to earn their academic credentials. Approximately 50% of YCA cadets who complete the program earn their General Education Diploma (GED), but through a partnership with Foothills Education Charter High School (www.foothillscharter.org), an accredited, state-funded high school aligned with Georgia state standards, eligible cadets are able to pursue high school academic credits in a virtual environment that allows them to transfer back to their previous high school. For those entering GaYCP with sufficient academic credits (16+ accepted academic credits), a cadet could earn their high school diploma while in attendance at GaYCP. Attainment of a high school diploma opens more employment doors that would remain closed otherwise.
For further information about GaYCP, contact Mr. David Bill, Director of Recruiting & Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 478-445-3721