The National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program was established by Congress in 1993 to turn around the lives of young men and women between the ages of 16 and 18 who are experiencing difficulty in completing traditional high school. This is a free program open to Georgia residents.
Georgia Youth ChalleNGe Program UPDATE (Dec. 4, 2020)
New Candidate/Cadet Screening & Testing Requirements
As prospective candidates prepare to enroll in our January 2021 classes at both Fort Stewart and Fort Gordon campuses, they must ensure that they follow appropriate guidelines to maintain the health and safety of the program participants and staff at each campus.
Per Georgia Governor’s executive guidance and recommendations from Georgia DPH and Georgia National Guard Command Surgeon, entry into the Georgia Youth ChalleNGe Program will require COVID-19 testing for candidates/cadets prior to and upon intake for a class.
- To be accepted for intake, the candidate/cadet must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken not earlier than 12 days prior to intake. This proof must be provided at intake and may consist of an email or screenshot of the negative test result for the given candidates/cadet.
To be in compliance with this testing requirement, the following dates should be reviewed:
- The Fort Stewart YCA Intake Day is Sunday January 17, 2021, so your COVID-19 test should be taken after Monday January 5, 2021.
- The Fort Gordon YCA Intake Day is Monday January 25, 2021, so your COVID-19 test should be taken after Wednesday January 13, 2021.
You should arrange to have the test completed in time to have the results returned prior to the Intake Day of the campus at which you are scheduled to enroll.
You can find your nearest coronavirus testing location at the Department of Public Health website link below. These tests are free of charge.
- Candidates/Cadets testing will be confirmed by the academy during intake to further validate their COVID-19 status. If the candidate/cadet tests positive for COVID-19, they will be isolated at the academy for the required timeframe before integrating into their platoon. Positive cadets may be returned to their family and dismissed from the class at the discretion of the Academy Director if circumstance warrant.
- Upon arrival for intake, screen the candidates/cadet by taking their temperature and have them complete the COVID-19 screening questionnaire. If a candidates/cadet is flagged due to fever or response to the questionnaire, they will not proceed and must not be accepted for intake.
- Once accepted to the academy, candidates/cadets will be screened at least once daily for fever and symptoms with a temperature check and questions about symptoms.
- Recommend that candidates/cadets self-quarantine for 14 days prior to arrival to Youth Challenge.
- Recommend that candidates/cadets monitor their temperature and symptoms for 14 days prior to arrival.